Wednesday 9 January 2013

Sunflowers diorama



I made this BT-5 and sunflowers diorama many years ago. The 1/35 BT-5 is the old Zvezda model, while the German soldier is a Hornet product. The sunflowers were scratchbuilt using paper and wire and the remains of the two crewmen were also built from scratch; they were some of the first figures that I ever sculpted. 

The inspiration for this diorama was a photo in one of the old Time-Life World War Two books of a Soviet tank standing in a field of newly grown sunflowers. The sunflowers very much suggest the Russian steppe to me, while the presence of the unfortunate crewmen, while shocking, is meant as a counterpoint to the living sunflowers.

I hope you guys like it!






4 comments:

  1. Great job, Kosta, I'm going to put your scene in my Monthly modeller corner on my blog.
    Please visit and join it!
    Cesare.
    http://www.cecetotoy.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Cesare! Lots of cool links and photos on your blog.

      Delete
  2. An oldie but a goodie Kosta. I love the way you've photographed it too.

    ReplyDelete